Monday, January 11, 2010

Getting Started

I guess first I should explain why I want to be a teacher. Teaching was not my first career choice. To be fair my first career choice was probably to become a Pediatric Oncologist when I was about 12 or 13 years old. By the time I was graduating from High school I had settled on owning my own Mass Media Marketing Firm, basically I wanted Holly Hunter's job in "What Women Want", but I wanted to own the place...well, life interrupted me and I eventually found my way to nursing. Which I loved!

I was a great nurse. I cared about my patients, I loved my work and I was darn good at taking darn good care of them. However, when you added the demands of nursing to the demands of real life, kids, a husband, pets, a house, finishing school, etc. Well, it was a recipe for disaster and I ultimately decided to leave nursing and quickly finished my Bachelors in Sociology.

Not many people know what Sociology is...

It's probably not what you think it is...the simple answer is that it is the study of groups. big groups, small groups, you name a group, we look at it.

I'm sure it will come as no surprise, but, Sociologists with only a Bachelors, don't make much money....

So...

Back to school I went to get my Masters in Sociology...apparently my motto is "when in doubt, go to school!"

So, last summer I found myself a year away from completing my Masters and no good plan for an income in sight.

A friend suggested that I look in to teaching, citing my love of working summer camp with the kids as reason enough to at least give it a try...

So, now, 6 months later, I have taken an education class, taken a few tests and attempted to get interviewed by our city school system, as well as being courted for a fellowship scholarship program...

So, here goes!

Class is in session!

(did I mention my dad is in the same program? at the same time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails