Monday, January 18, 2010

Denver

My family and I just returned from an exceptional trip to Denver for my cousin's wedding.

The city is a wonderful laid back type place and with the mountains as a backdrop, it's amazing anyone gets anything done!

While I was in Denver, I couldn't help imagine what it would be like to teach in such an incredible place.

I picked up the Westword, the local free paper, and last thursday's hot topic was the closing of PS1, Denver's most recent attempt at a charter school for students who have not been able to achieve in traditional education programs. These students have the typical problems found anywhere; learning problems, rough family life, poverty, lack of study skills or behavioral issues. The tough part is that the city school board has not found a solution for the lack of scores and cannot find a better place for the students either.

After reading the article, I was more compelled than ever on two things. First, I feel an inner need to teach and help. I wanted to be teaching today, to take students outside and show them the ways that biology is all around us and how science quietly and gracefully weaves in and out of our daily lives. and Second, I need to live in a city like Denver. I don't know if Denver is where I have to be but, I definitely was inspired by the "vibe" of the city. It has a natural flow that makes sense to me. The mountains are near by and what's incredible is the way that nature makes it possible to experience so many different things in the same area. In the summer, all the way through to the winter, the mountains are there to create all new ways to understand nature and biology.

For now, it's time to focus on those things that are right in front of me... Passing all my certifying exams! and finishing my Masters in Sociology.

I'm waiting on pins and needles to hear if I passed the last exam I took.

So, it's back to writing the thesis, teaching stats and helping to teach/take my Medical Sociology class. Graduation is May 8th!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails